[plug] Vertical Scroll in evdev/libinput/xinput

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Woodley.id.au
Fri May 19 21:32:45 AWST 2017

Evening PLUGers,

A gold doubloon[1] to anyone who can tell me how to change a horizontal
scroll event into a vertical scroll event in evdev, libinput or xinput.
I have a Griffin Powermate, which had previously been working using
evrouter, however I would like to get it working using more native and
permanent methods.

My current efforts amount to creating
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-evdev-powermate.conf:

Section "InputClass"
         Identifier      "evdev Griffin PowerMate catchall"
         Driver          "evdev"
         MatchVendor     "Griffin"
         MatchProduct    "PowerMate"
         Option          "XAxisMapping"      "4 5"
         Option          "YAxisMapping"      "6 7"
EndSection

This gets the wheel working, however the event is a horizontal scroll,
rather than a vertical one. I've tried remapping the buttons with
xinput, however this doesn't seem to have any impact.

Cheers,

Adrian

[1] Not actually redeemable for real gold.