[plug] Linux job at Pawsey Supercomputing Centre, Kensington

Gregory Orange home at oranges.id.au
Thu Nov 1 11:48:03 AWST 2018

On Thu, 1 Nov 2018 at 11:12, Shanon Loughton <autobot at iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Cool Greg!
> Does Pawsey do/plan to do any SKA computation assistance?

Definitely; lots of data storage too. The Murchison Widefield Array
(MWA) is the precursor project to Australia's low frequency SKA
efforts, and Australian SKA Pathfinder (ASKAP) I believe is (part of?)
the precursor to South Africa's medium frequency SKA efforts, and they
both make significant use of Pawsey resources. Pawsey 2.0 (hardware
refit, same building[1]) will move closer to what we need for full
blown SKA although the numbers are truly off the charts. I think there
was a PLUG presentation by a SKA person a while back...  Yes, found it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5LNex_qZxg

[1] https://www.computerworld.com.au/article/640595/pawsey-gets-70-million-replace-ageing-supercomputers/

--
Gregory Orange