[plug] Looking for assistance with a recent Debian upgrade

Joe Aquilina joe at chem.com.au
Tue Dec 17 16:18:04 AWST 2019

Ben

Thanks for that, and here goes:

We have two Debian systems here, along with a bunch of Kubuntu and
Windows systems. Early last week I upgraded the second of our Debian
systems from stretch to buster. A few days earlier, I had upgraded the
other Debian system, also from stretch to buster. That first upgrade
went fine and everything is working as expected.

However the second (of course the more important system) did not upgrade
correctly. It is mostly ok, but I am unable to ssh in to that machine.
When I try to, I get this:

packet_write_wait: Connection to 10.0.2.1 port 22: Broken pipe

Searching on the net suggested I try adding ServerAliveInterval and
ServerAliveCountMax into the sshd_config file - no luck there.

I have tried removing (and purging) openssh again with no luck.

I have also tried disabling ufw in case there problem was there, no luck.

Stopping ssh and sshd services and installing dropbear allows me to
login to the machine, and I can perform normal file operations. However,
this machine collects and distributes our emails for all users on our
LAN and the other machines can't access the machine. There is another
(off-site) Debian machine that does an important overnight folder sync
which it is currently unable to do as it can't ssh in.

My Linux/Debian knowledge is obviously pretty limited, and I am not sure
what to try next.

What else can I provide that might help me solve this?

Sorry to be a bit longwinded and possibly not precise enough in my
description of the problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions,
advice or assistance.

Cheers.

Joe Aquilina