[plug] Happy anniversary, GNU Parallel!

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 17 20:36:35 AWST 2020

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 10:02:36PM +0800, Benjamin wrote:
> The really good news is that with Ubuntu 20.04 (Focal Fossa) right around
> the corner, you'll have great hardware support on a nice long-term release
> of Ubuntu which will be supported for a long, long time. That said, same
> with Ubuntu 18.04 once you run all the updates and the Hardware Enablement
> Kernel (HWE).
[...]

True! and that reminds me to spare a moment's thought for parallel - 10
years as a GNU project:

https://www.gnu.org/software/parallel/10-years-anniversary

Like some tools (e.g. rsync!) it has... grown. It's xargs(1) and whole
lot more. It does takes advantage of an "interactive use clause" that
not a lot of programs do, but it can be easily appeased. That has lead
to lot of public citations, e.g. in fields like biomed:

https://books.google.com.au/books?id=Lb_VDQAAQBAJ&pg=PA378&lpg=PA378&dq=gnu+parallel+biomed&source=bl&sa=X#v=onepage&q=gnu%20parallel%20biomed&f=false

We were planning a release party for Ubuntu 20.04 ...but we'll see what
happens, online. Drop in on IRC or our other comms options, if you like!
Looks like it's on schedule for next week:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseSchedule

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal