[plug] Xubuntu + Dell XPS + "thunderbolt" HDMI?

Geoffrey Richards geoff at 79.com.au
Sat Apr 18 16:15:48 AWST 2020

HDMI (monitor) -> HDMI-to-DisplayLink -> DisplayLink-to-USB-C

"USB-C to DisplayLink" converter cable
Hmmmm, i assume you mean DisplayPort, not DisplayLink
so i don't think this link is applicable.. https://www.displaylink.com/USB-C

Chris, is this a more accurate representation of your setup?

monitor hdmi--f> <m--HDMI_v?-to-DisplayPort_v?--m>
<f--DisplayPort_v?-to-USB-C--m> <f--Thunderbolt 3 port Laptop

(note the USB-C protocol is a subset of TB3 - they both use the same
physical port - convenient but confusing)

what res monitor? 1080p, 2K, 4K,
what refresh rate? 30/60Hz?
what version hdmi?
what version DisplayPort?
active or passive adapters?
so many variables...
you need to be an AV expert these days just to connect a monitor, LOL.
Can spend all day trying to figure it out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C#Alternate_Mode_partner_specifications

so.. it could be one of your adapters that is confusing and blocking the
signals
or
check the laptop TB3 chip driver for what protocols it supports.

to troubleshoot i'd be simplifying the setup

a single cable:
monitor hdmi--f>    <m--HDMI_v2-to-USB-c--m>     <f--TB3 Laptop
or
hdmi cable with adapter:
monitor hdmi--f>    <m--HDMI_v2--m>  <f--HDMI_v2-to-USB-C--m>   <f--TB3
Laptop

Regards

Geoffrey Richards
geoff at 79.com.au