[plug] Optimised software & Potentially biased Lab speed tests vs real use speed and reliability

Daniel daniel at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 20 14:47:13 AWST 2020

Hi
Still looking at hardware choices for desktop Linux at home: I recall watching someone say that the most expensive product of a certain ‘fashionista’ computer company wasn’t much faster than one that cost much less because most software wasn’t optimised to make use of its capabilities.

Is the supposedly 69% faster PCIe 4 worth going out of my Intel comfort zone ... will a Linux box (cpu & video as below) work well and go a lot faster?

Ref
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3400176/pcie-40-everything-you-need-to-know-specs-compatibility.html
~~~ AMD ran Futuremark’s unreleased PCIe feature test to show how a Ryzen 7 3800X coupled with a Radeon RX 5700 in PCIe 4.0 mode offered 69 percent more PCIe throughput performance than a Core i9-9900K and GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ~~~

Thank you

Daniel
(In Perth but I don’t get out much)