[plug] Pi talk

Jason Nicholls jason at mindsocket.com.au
Mon Aug 10 14:03:46 AWST 2020

If not married to the PI then I'd also suggest looking at 2nd hand mini PCs.

I picked up a Dell Optiplex 9020m i5 4590t with 8GB RAM and 128GB SDD
(internal) for $227. This is a low power unit (idles ~10W) and way more
powerful than a PI with proper full speed GigE and USB3 if you want to hook
up external disks. Nice thing too is you can expand/upgrade it with more
ram or replace the internal disk etc... It's also tiny, about the same size
as my NBN router!

If you consider the cost of a pi4  4GB + power + case, then I think this is
competitive - esp. if you were thinking of getting multiple PIs

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 1:55 PM Benjamin <zorlin at gmail.com> wrote:

> Odroid stuff is certainly worth looking at. My "Elastic NAS" project is
> built on 4x ODROID HC2 units running Ubuntu and MooseFS...
> - b
>
> On Mon, 10 Aug 2020, 13:53 William Kenworthy, <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> Or pay a small amount more and use an odroid N2 (6 arm cores, 4 G ram)
>> and run the services via LXC.  I have a dav server, an asterisk PABX,
>> internet facing web server, slave dns, email and a radicale calendar server
>> plus a buildhost all in lxc on a single N2.  Everything including asterisk
>> runs well on a gentoo-sources kernel and a re-purposed Gentoo aarch64
>> raspberry pi user-land from my old pi 3B.  An Odroid c4 will also work -
>> note both of these have USB3 if you want to run extra usb network
>> adaptors.  The n2 is running a bridge for LXC to the VLAN segmented
>> networks while the C4 I have (odroid 4.14 kernel, gentoo aarch64 userland)
>> is using 2 bridged USB 3 WiFi adaptors to vlans all without problems.  A
>> major performance boost (at least 3x over an SD card in my tests) is had
>> using the odroid eMMC storage, though the pi's have a sata hat available -
>> I have tried using usb storage and usb networking together on both pies and
>> odroids and its a serious no-no :) - corruption and really bad performance
>> when busy).  The standard odroid OS is ubuntu and it can apparently also
>> use raspian.
>>
>> Any pi less than a 4 will suffer from poor network performance (it all
>> goes through an internal, under-powered USB2 hub), though I have used pi
>> 1B's for all the above services in the past.  Going on my experience, a pi
>> less than a 4 will do ok for a not very busy home server but wont do well
>> for routing and a pi 4 should be better at networking whereas the more
>> powerful odroid units will do it better, perhaps to small enterprise level
>> with the right storage.  see https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-c4/
>> (the page for the older n2 i have uses a pi3 for the comparison, the newer
>> N2+ is here https://www.hardkernel.com/shop/odroid-n2-with-4gbyte-ram-2/
>> .)
>>
>> BillK
>>

>> On 10/8/20 12:58 pm, Russell Pereira wrote:
>>
>> Hey pluggers,
>>
>> Just wondering what pi you recommend for Web server, vpn server, file
>> server, router and a firewall.
>>
>> Was thinking seperate pies for each one and was wondering which model(s)
>> would be best. I have a esberrybpi 3 with 1gb ram but figure it is a bit
>> under powered.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Russ

Jason Nicholls