[plug] Filesystems for lots of inodes

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Tue Jan 7 17:16:14 AWST 2020

On 4/1/20 12:40 pm, Brad Campbell wrote:
> G'day All,
>
> I have a little backup machine that has a 4TB drive attached.
>
> Every night it logs into all my machines and does a rotating hardlink
> rsync to back them up.
>
> Currently there are about 36 directories and each of those has ~105
> hardlinked backups.

So I thought I was clever in developing a methodlology that would allow
me to do a few clever tests with new filesystems using existing data.

So, I started with a filesystem on the USB drive and cloned that into a
(4TB) file for loopback mounting hosted on a quick(ish) RAID-6.

I thought I'd dump/restore that onto a spare partition I keep for
testing on a scratch RAID-5, but found that dump/restore was good for
about 2GB/hr in this scenario. So after about 6Gb I killed that.

I thought I could use tar in a pipe to replicate instead, and that
worked a lot faster (compared to dump/restore anyway). I got ~100G into
that and had a re-think about making sure I only had to do this once,
so I used tar piped through pigz and then over the network onto another
array on a test box.

The theory there was having the whole thing as one big tar.gz meant I
could untar it rapidly onto different filesystems and test it out.

Nice in theory, but > 48 hours later and it's nearly done. Raw bandwidth
is fine. When it hits the static backup directory and large files I get
full network bandwidth (~300MB/s), but it bogs down once it hits the
rotating hardlinks again.

Interesting, with 800MB/s of disk and 300MB/s of network it's absolutely
limited by the random IO limitations of the disks. With ~10MB/s of
actual data the disks are pinned 100% usage with huge latencies just
dealing with the fragmentation.

So, I *will* test these filesystems, but just getting this thing
archived in a format where I can replicate it in less than 2 days has
proven "challenging" so far.

--
An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful
experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very