[plug] Filesystems for lots of inodes

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Thu Jan 9 14:12:26 AWST 2020

On 8/1/20 13:39, Byron Hammond wrote:
> I'm keeping my eye on this thread with great interest.
>
> I'm really curious to see what your findings are and how you got there.

It will be interesting. I'll say in response to "how you got there", the
current answer is _slowly_.

The construction of the tar.gz finished after about 2 and a bit days, so
I created a fresh ext4 filesystem on my scratch RAID-5 and started
untarring onto that.

We're now 987G of 3.3T in after ~32 hours (150M of 244M inodes), so
maybe it's not fragmentation but ext4 just being painful with this
filesystem contents. It's actually looking slower to create that it was
to backup.

This race might be won by the filesystem that can untar 244 million
inodes in the shortest period of time!

I'm not in a hurry, but once I settle on a replacement system, this is a
process I won't be in a hurry to repeat.

Brad
--
An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful
experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very