[plug] wicd ignore networks

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Tue Mar 24 15:05:08 AWST 2020

Just for the archives.

I use wicd for wireless management.

In PCH currently I can see 70 separate access point / SSID pairs, most of which I can't access and clutter up the network list. My little 5G access point is down in signal strength, so it sits way down toward the bottom of the list.

Using the GUI you can set a particular ssid to aggregate the settings across all the same ssid, and then set the network as "never connect" but you have to put fake encryption details in and it's very kludgy. It also makes a mess of the config as it records the BSSID, then separately the ESSID and strange stuff seems to happen.

I found I could get wicd to nicely ignore an entire ssid easily by editing the /etc/wicd/wireless-settings.conf file.

[essid:HEALTH-Data]
use_settings_globally = 1
never = 1

"use_settings_globally" appears to be required to make wicd examine the essid rather than the bssid, and "never" sets the "never connect" flag. I have wicd set to not display networks set to "never connect".

Job done. I couldn't find this documented anywhere, so I put it here.

Brad