[plug] Xubuntu + Dell XPS + "thunderbolt" HDMI?

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Fri May 8 14:58:52 AWST 2020

Hi Geoff, and all,

Thank you very much for your helpful replies. Just a quick update. I
tried a different converter so the setup now looks like:

Monitor (HDMI F) -> HDMI cable -> HDMI-to-Thunderbolt-3 -> Laptop USB-C

However, still no dice. This is the converter I tried:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-C-Type-C-to-HDMI-Cable-4K-UHD-Adapter-For-Thunderbolt-3-Galaxy-S10-S9-Note-9/173026177895

I also tried a USB-C to DisplayPort one from Officeworks (which I
mentioned previously) which didn't work either, although there is some
action on dmesg saying something about a "billboard" whereas the
Thunderbolt one reports no messages anywhere that I can see, when I plug
it in.

I have one more converter coming by mail which I'll try.

Whatever happened to the good old days of staying up until 3:30am
editing XF86Config?

Cheers,

Chris.

https://mccormick.cx/