[plug] Forward http proxy cache

Dean Bergin dean.bergin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 20:09:52 AWST 2021

Hello Paul,

Sorry that my reply isn't actually directly related to you question or
request for a solution, but are the regional nbn links business grade?

The reason I ask is that some providers may offer symmetrical (TC2)
bandwidth along with the residential asymetrical grade and contended (TC4)
bandwidth, which if QoS is done right, you can prioritise and mark traffic
according to business need and put them on the appropriate traffic class
which can give pretty good performance and potentially better user
experience if turned correctly.

As for proxies, I think that squid is probably the way to go, but I've not
done anything proxy-related for a long while now and not on anything other
than squid.

Also, given that most traffic these days is typically https, I don't see
much benefit in a proxy as they cannot see inside an encrypted tunnel
without SSL inspection... Not something I recommend at all unless there is
a extremely compelling business case...