[plug] musing on HDD types (William Kenworthy)

Paul Del p at delfante.it
Sun Apr 25 13:02:56 AWST 2021

Hello Bill

My 2 cents worth

I am sure you know the common things that can increase your hard drives
life and performance:
Temperature
Humidity
VIbration
Heavy Writes
Heaving Logging
Clean/Reliable power
Data throughput

The rust hard drives I have seen the most failures with are: (I recommend
avoiding)
WD Green
WD Blue
Hitachi Deskstar
(Not The server drives)

The rust hard drives I recommend the most are:
WD Black 7200rpm or better
Seagate 7200pm or better
(Not Red, Blue, Green, Purple)

If you are doing the moose distribute setup
You could always choose two different brands/types

if you want to know more specific things about which hard drive failures.
Check out this from backblaze, I am sure there's more around. Which is one
Benjamin sent around ages ago.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-for-2020/
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q2-2020/

Thanks Paul