[plug] musing on HDD types (William Kenworthy)

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Mon Apr 26 12:04:51 AWST 2021

Hi Ben,

I have heard  of shucking drives but have not gone down that route as it
seems too fraught - I do suspect they might be inferior (software,
hardware?) from the cheap prices some of them are alone.  I am using USB
because hardware like odroid xu4, c4 only have usb connectors (no SATA,
no IDE etc.) ... even the HC2 uses an admittedly good quality internal
USB3 to SATA.  There are some interesting threads on the xu4 forums on
why linux UAS and USB in general performs so badly (very common, poor
quality adaptors often using Seagate firmware that may not be standards
compliant) compared to other systems as people were blaming the hardware
- in LinuxLand sometimes the pursuit of perfection gets in the way of
just getting the job done at all.

BillK