[plug] What to do with service accounts, payment methods and passwords after your death?

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Wed Apr 28 14:34:55 AWST 2021

On 28/4/21 1:36 pm, Onno Benschop wrote:
> Over the past few years I've been attempting to resolve a problem that is only getting larger. I have countless online accounts, some of which are paid for and linked to credit cards and bank accounts.
>
> These accounts are not just "end user" accounts, but things like a domain account, the hosting for a fleet of websites, online photo storage, backups, client data and resources, email, calendaring, media, streaming, etc.
>
> What systems have you put in place to ensure continuity?
>
> Note that this goes well beyond password sharing, a whole topic in and of itself, this is about how stuff is linked together, what belongs to which account, how is it paid for, etc. etc.
>
> I note that even if I were to document this accurately, it would be out of date almost immediately. I created three new accounts for services in the past three hours alone.
>
> Feedback and discussion welcome.

I have everything stored in a password manager, multiple copies of the database in different documented locations (none in the "cloud") and a copy of the master password in a sealed envelope in a mates safe with instructions for its use.

If he and I both die at the same time then I guess there's a problem.

--
An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful
experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very