[plug] Newbie: USB-C multi-port dock

Rob Phillips r.phillips at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 2 17:51:43 AWST 2021

Hi everyone,

I am a new member. I am slowly weaning myself off macs (after 35 years)
because they cost too much and the available peripheral functionality
continually decreases.

My progress towards Ubuntu has slowed down because I could not get my
OWC Thunderbolt 2 multi-port dock to work. The techo stuff about drivers
was too complicated, despite me being a unix sys prog in the 1980s.

My current OWC dock is getting flaky (some ports don't work and it's
overheating).

This gives me the opportunity to purchase a new dock, and an incentive
to complete my transition to linux.

I have been searching around, and the only two docks I found which have
multiple USB-C ports are:

  * HyperDrive GEN2: Next Generation USB-C Hub
  * Anker PowerExpand 13-in-1 USB C Dock

Questions:

  * does anyone know of other USB-C docks which will handle: 3+ USB 2/3
    ports; HDMI or similar; ethernet; extra USB-C ports for peripherals,
    etc.?
  * How hard is it to get them working  on Ubuntu (latest production
    version)?
  * Can I purchase in Perth?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Rob and Rita Phillips, Ashby St, Wanneroo
Secretary, Gnangara United Landowners Association
r.phillips at iinet.net.au
0416 065 054