[plug] Buy Linux laptop

Gregory Orange home at oranges.id.au
Sun Feb 28 21:07:09 AWST 2021

I tried to buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon 8th gen on special, but they ran out.
After I recovered from the disappointment I bought a X1 Carbon 7th gen
on special. I told myself that I don't actually need top performance,
just SSD + sufficient RAM, and previous gen may give better
compatibility anyway.

Lubuntu ran very well on it, even with the proprietary DisplayLink
drivers making the Thunderbolt 3 dock drive my 2 screens. I was just
sorting out my interface fine tuning when the critical bug[1] started to
bite: Crash to login screen, multiple times a day, when I did anything
graphically interesting. Proprietary driver for the loss - no response
to support request[2].

Regular ol' Ubuntu 20.04 runs great on it - lid action, screen layout on
(un)plug Thunderbolt 3 dock, webcam, multitouch touchpad, battery life,
backlit keyboard control key, and so on. Crucially, DisplayLink driver
doesn't crash. Pop Shell[3] has replaced 'from my cold dead hands' LXDE.

I have a Windows KVM for minimal work purposes, but corporate security
rules have changed so I'm about to delete that. Oh well, I guess I get
some disk space back.

For interacting with a desktop OS, this is now my preference order:
Tied 1st: 'buntu with LXDE (Lubuntu or Ubuntu + lubuntu-desktop)
Tied 1st: Ubuntu + Pop Shell
3rd: Mac + Slate + Amethyst + HyperSwitch
4th: Windows. I haven't recently searched for ways to improve it.

Now I can get back to a hundred other jobs, including rebuilding server,
now with added software trinkets.

Thanks y'all,
Greg.

[1]
https://discourse.lubuntu.me/t/libc-2-31-so-general-protection-fault-external-monitor/1911
https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?p=91133

[2] I guess I could spend more money on a different dock or screen
connection thingo. It felt good to resolve it myself though.

[3] https://github.com/pop-os/shell

--
Gregory Orange