[plug] Mini Linux Web Server

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Tue Mar 23 07:52:48 AWST 2021

On Mon, 22 Mar 2021 02:44:53 Jon Miller wrote:

> I'm looking for some advice on purchasing a mini web server that
> runs Linux (as I want to run my website from home vs via a hosting
> service), can I get recommendations on what's on the market and
> the ease of operation.  I currently will only be running my 2
> websites.

I'm guessing that you upstream bandwidth is no more than 100Mbps.

If pages are largely static, you can keep the server small and
simple using THTTPD http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/

Static pages mean that your web site is blindingly-fast compared to
the dynamic sites that dominate the webscape.

Really small hardware (as open source as it can get) e.g.
https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/Home-Server/LIME2-SERVER-NO-HDD/open-source-hardware
Choose HDD/SSD from your vendor/bits bin.

If you need dynamic pages - and think about that very carefully
because that can also open up your site to scripting attacks - then
the next step up is an entry-level, multi-core AMD beastie with
giggles of RAM for cache. Stick to a feature-less mainboard - esp no
WiFi and no fancy video to keep power consumption and heat low.

Whichever way you go; the web server belongs in a DMZ with your
modem-firewall-router in-between also backed up by UPS so that you
can keep serving pages for hours when (not if) the street goes dark.
Low-end, quality UPS will cost about $100.

--
/"\ Bernd Felsche - Somewhere in Western Australia
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an