[plug] Feedback on a FLOSS monetization idea

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Sat Oct 2 08:29:03 AWST 2021

Hey all,

A few weeks back I gave a PLUG talk on some ways free software
developers are earning an income based on their open source work.

This got me thinking more about ways people could build a sustainable
career working on FLOSS. In the talk I said the "donations model" hasn't
worked very well in the past, but that seems to be changing now with
GitHub sponsorship. I see quite a few developers these days with enough
sponsorships to give them freedom to put more time into their free
software work.

So I decided to build a little tool to help devs on this path. Basically
the idea is you give rewards to the people who sponsor your work. If
you're interested in this area and have thought about using GitHub
sponsorship to fund your own dev, I would love to get your feedback.

https://ghperks.com/

Please let me know what you think. Feel free to email me off list if you
don't feel comfortable responding on list.

Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

Chris.

--