[plug] February Talk

PLUG Secretary msrwood at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 11:27:11 AWST 2022

Tue, 8 February, 18:00 – 21:00
Riff, powered by Spacecubed, 45 St Georges Terrace, Perth WA 6000, Australia

For our February  talk Alastair Irvine will give a presentation
entitled "Toolbelt: Install anything (in theory)"

  The process of ad-hoc system administration, in which lengthy and
possibly insecure installation commands are typed/pasted from software
project websites or even Q&A sites, is both time-consuming and not
recommended from a security perspective.

  However, OS-provided software packages are often old versions or not
present at all.  And modern DevOps approaches like Ansible, Puppet,
Vagrant or Docker are not always justified, especially for
experimentation or work on one's own workstation.

  Toolbelt fills the gap, by automating the recommended installation
approach described on the provider's website for each  supported piece
of software.

For more details see our events calendar: plug.org.au/events/

Margaret
PLUG Secretary