[plug] speed: find vs ls

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Fri Jul 29 09:56:43 AWST 2022

On 29/7/22 02:19, Thomas Cuthbert wrote:
> Also https://github.com/sharkdp/fd <https://github.com/sharkdp/fd> is a find clone with an emphasis on performance which might be useful!

G'day Thomas,

Appreciate the input. This process is just collecting the list of files to then run a verification step on, so the speed is in finding the files.

In this instance it's not appreciably faster than find. An strace shows it's doing what find does and running stat on each file in each directory.

root at rpi31:/mnt/backup/work# echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
root at rpi31:/mnt/backup/work# time fdfind --maxdepth 2 --type f bkb.rhash.crc32 .

real	6m34.952s
user	0m6.893s
sys	0m24.713s
root at rpi31:/mnt/backup/work# echo 2 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
root at rpi31:/mnt/backup/work# time fdfind --maxdepth 2 --type f --glob bkb.rhash.crc32 .

real	6m31.966s
user	0m6.958s
sys	0m24.489s