[plug] email clients for gmail accounts

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Tue Jun 14 12:50:13 AWST 2022

On 12/6/22 20:36, gavinwc wrote:
> Hi everyone, I have been a subscriber to this list for ages (20+ years),
> and have seen activity on here ebb and flow, and now for the first time in
> more than a decade I have a question to ask and hope your collective wisdom
> and experience may help :-)
>
> I've been using thunderbird as my email client for a very long time
> regardless of which distro I have installed. Now with google's rejection of
> "less secure apps" my email via thunderbird has stopped working. I'm not
> prepared to have my google account for gmail associated with my mobile
> number for 2-factor authentication, and I never accept "login with google"
> - I'm telling you that to explain that I try and limit how much user
> profiling I allow alphabet to have on me, so that's why I'm looking for a
> workaround that I can't find online.

My parents use Gmail. I set up an "application password".
I use IMAPsync to keep a backup of thier box, and it's pretty standard in its IMAP

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

It worked a couple of weeks ago at last sync.

Regards,
Brad
--
An expert is a person who has found out by his own painful
experience all the mistakes that one can make in a very