[plug] TPG group no longer providing email

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 9 02:56:12 AWST 2023

On 2/8/2023 1:04 pm, Chris McCormick wrote:
> I run my own mailserver but I must admit it's got a bit iffy in recent years.

It does feel like that sometimes - though if we can't self-host, who
can? In many ways it's easier than it's ever been, though deliverability
will be always imperfect and one can spend a lot of effort yet move the
dial on that only marginally.

- Email is pretty much the O.G. interoperable federated messenger
- Two strangers can usually still interact on a default-allowed basis!
- It's often acting as a concrete IdP/identity provider where user at domain
  simply means what it says, without multiple layers of abstraction and
  outsourcing and flaky cloud APIs
  - ...and partially thanks to that, functional migrations of data from
    one server to a different one are often documented and doable
    - ...in stark contrast to the typical immature flavour-of-the-month
      federated (and agressively non-federated) systems

On Wed, Aug 02, 2023 at 01:16:51PM +0800, Stephen Boak wrote:
[...]
> And on that note, how do I change my email address for this list?
> If it's an admin task, by new email is steve at boak.au
> Thanks
> Steve

Done! It is not meant to be an admin task - you can
subscribe/unsubscribe with a new one by email (instructions at
https://www.plug.org.au/resources/mailing-list/#using-the-list )

...there's a web interface too, but! it needs to be obscured until
we update mailman because a bot was hitting it. It will ask for HTTP
authorisation and there is a simple placeholder username:password that
is not spam, for now.

On Fri, Aug 04, 2023 at 05:12:33PM +0800, Benjamin wrote:
> MIAB sounds pretty good - also consider Mailcow - despite the silly name
> Mailcow is incredibly easy to deploy and self host

https://mailinabox.email/
https://mailcow.email/

...and these look interesting, too:
https://maddy.email/
https://stalw.art/

To get comfy with mail again I think I need a backup plan that's
affordable for light testing - a hosting SaaS, mostly-self-service, that
does not get suddenly expensive when testing more than one new domain or
charge by the "mailbox". Two that qualify are migadu.com and mxroute.com .
I've been thinking about biting the bullet with a signup for one (both?)
of them for a while... One never knows when you'll need the backup,
or friend might need to do it instead.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal