[plug] Tapes

Andrew Furey andrew.furey at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 21:43:39 AWST 2023

(Resending on-list, sorry Bill)

Also pigz is a must for getting data to the tape fast enough to avoid
shoeshining. (At least in our case with LTO3/4 it made a huge difference…
LTO8 I couldn’t seem to get it there fast enough regardless.)

(tar -cf /dev/st0 -I pigz source, rather than tar -czf.)

Andrew

On Wednesday, 8 March 2023, William KENWORTHY <billk at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Let tar handle the encryption/compression and use mt to control the drive.
> That's how we did it in the good old days.  Hopefully the tapes are better
> these days .. I thought LTO had gone the way of the dinosaurs ... and good
> riddance!
>
> e.g.,
> https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-tape-backup-with-mt-and-
> tar-command-howto/
>
> BillK
>

> On 8 March 2023 4:22:31 pm AWST, Brad Campbell <brad at fnarfbargle.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> G'day all,
>>
>> I've gone and bought an LTO-5 tape drive with the intention of supplementing our already pretty comprehensive backup routine. It won't fit in any of my on-line machines, so the intention is to put it into the office "workshop" machine with a fast disk, stage the backup onto the disk and then write it out to tape overnight. I don't need partial writes or recovery. There will be no issue writing or reading the whole tape. If I need to recover from tape I have bigger issues than the time required.
>>
>> My thought is to use tar through compression and then encryption streamed out to tape. I'll have a play with compression and encryption that can sustain damage and still recover the remainder as a belt and braces.
>>
>> Anyone have any tips or ideas?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Brad

Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett