[plug] Strange DNS issue for AU domains

plugger at thegeezer.net plugger at thegeezer.net
Mon Sep 18 17:37:04 AWST 2023

On 18/09/2023 11:43 am, Onno Benschop wrote:
> Could be that your ISP is filtering port 53, either on purpose or
> accidentally.
>
> --
> finger painting on glass is an inexact art - apologies for any errors
> in this scra^Hibble
>
> ()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..

I had the unhappy feeling when i got SERVFAIL against my own hosted DNS.
   At home I use OpenDNS and i was only getting SERVFAIL against their
DNS, dig direct to my hosted DNS everything was OK

thought I'd share what the OpenDNS support team advised, possible

" We just wanted to provide an update, an issue has been identified on
the .AU zone delegation causing failure due to DNSSEC validation.
Umbrella engineering has temporary disabled DNSSEC validation on
Umbrella/OpenDNS Resolvers while allowing .AU zone owners to address the
root issue."

and this from .auDA

"

auDA is aware that some internet users may have experienced an issue
with .au domain name resolution this morning.

The issue was caused by a Domain Name System Security Extensions
(DNSSEC) key re-signing process that generated an incorrect record for a
short period. Internet users whose Internet Service Providers (ISPs) use
a Domain Name System (DNS) resolver with DNSSEC validation were impacted.

The issue was resolved in under an hour. The security of the .au DNS was
not impacted.

We regret any inconvenience caused to impacted internet users." [1]

[1] https://www.auda.org.au/statement/au-domain-name-system-update