[plug] miniPC recommendations?
Bruce Axtens
bruce.axtens at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 13:39:59 AWST 2026
> I am curious what are you trying to achieve or the type of work you
will do with your miniPC?
* Assorted bits of dotnet development in C#
* I'm a maintainer and language track developer for exercism.org
(helped with COBOL, 8th, and Euphoria tracks and working on SNOBOL4
track)
* I have three Substack accounts I write into occasionally:
o https://calvingicebergs.substack.com/
o https://playingwithmyfood.substack.com/
o https://skipdipper.substack.com/
* Microsoft Teams and PowerPoint (I'm the "Order of Service" builder
for my church (Three Crosses WPC))
That's the top four of lots of other miscellaneous activity.
-Bruce.
On 14/09/2026 11:07 am, Juneidy Wibowo wrote:
>
> Hi Bruce,
>
> Before getting deep into the weed, I am curious what are you trying to
> achieve or the type of work you will do with your miniPC?
>
> My office will usually cycle employee laptop every 3-4 years and I
> usually collect discarded office laptops and repurpose them by
> installing linux. I would dare say those office laptops will most
> likely outperform most if not all miniPC in the $450 range.
>
> I know you seem to suggest you want to get a new machine instead of
> using a second-hand laptops. But if you're simply looking for a
> machine with higher performance than your current one, maybe you could
> try asking your son to see if there are any good condition laptops
> that are being discarded.
>
> Regards,
> Juneidy
> On Monday, September 14th, 2026 at 09:26, Bruce Axtens via plug
> <plug_at_plug_org_au_rqgvlrjawc at simplelogin.co> wrote:
>> Hello Pluglings (for want of a better term)
>>
>> I'm still lurking here in the shadows. Have been for years, my son
>> Daniel having been the impetus. He's now Principal Engineer for
>> Fastly: https://www.fastly.com/blog/author/daniel-axtens
>>
>> But I didn't come here to do that. My question is more mundane: after
>> years of having various second-hand laptops as my home setup for
>> Linux I'm now seriously considering laying out real money for a
>> miniPC. Does the group have any suggestions re manufacturer and
>> vendor? I'm thinking something in the $300-$450 range.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Bruce Axtens
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.plug.org.au/pipermail/plug/attachments/20260914/3cfddd46/attachment.htm>
More information about the plug
mailing list