[plug] miniPC recommendations?

James Henstridge james at jamesh.id.au
Tue Sep 15 12:58:38 AWST 2026


On Tue, 15 Sept 2026 at 10:32, Bruce Axtens via plug <plug at plug.org.au> wrote:
>
> I will have to pay attention to the fine details. I have a screen like this: https://www.samsung.com/au/monitors/gaming/odyssey-g9-g95c-49-inch-240hz-curved-dual-qhd-ls49cg954eexxy/ both at work and at home (covid-era WFH setup). As for a unit lacking wifi, I do have powerline ethernet adaptors in a cupboard somewhere.

That is a massive screen, and I suspect you'd have trouble finding a
system that is both cheap and can drive it at it's native resolution.
For example, the spec sheet for the HP system I mentioned says it's
integrated GPU tops out at 4096x2304. While 5120x1440 is fewer pixels,
I would worry that 4096 is a hard limit on the display width it can
handle as it is a power of two.

It looks like the display can also run in a "virtual dual monitor"
setup though, where it can pretend to be two 2560x1440 screens driven
from different inputs. You could use this to display from two
different computers, or from a single PC in dual monitor config. This
would likely work with the cheap HP system, but I imagine you'd get
noticeable tearing if you tried to position a window in the centre of
the screen across the seam between the virtual monitors. If you keep
windows on the left or right halves, things would probably be fine.

James.


More information about the plug mailing list