[plug] Phone recommendations

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Sep 18 09:19:17 AWST 2026


$59, everything except WiFi.

https://www.telstra.com.au/mobile-phones/prepaid-mobiles/telstra-t-lite

--
finger painting on glass is an inexact art - apologies for any errors in
this scra^Hibble

()/)/)() ..ASCII for Onno..

On Thu, 17 Sept 2026, 12:08 gavinwc via plug, <plug at plug.org.au> wrote:

> I know this is opening a can of worms, but looking for recommendations for
> a replacement phone. Why? Read on:
>
> I choose NOT to use an android or iPhone smart phone and have had a
> variety of 'feature' phones over the years because all I want to use it for
> is text and calls, with occasional hotspot and definitely Bluetooth. My
> current one is the Nokia 800 Tough. Gee, that's radical, I know, and being
> a high school teacher it always gives the teenagers a good laugh!
>
> Now, today I got a text and email from my carrier that had all the
> hallmarks of a scam because it screamed "your phone is going to be
> blocked!" But, it was legit. Because both major carriers have really
> dropped the ball on emergency calls, from Oct they're now going to be
> completely blocking any phone deemed not capable of meeting the new
> emergency connection regs released in 2024
>
> You people all probably know that, but thought I'd spell it out for the
> archives and clarity :-)
>
> Something like the Fairphone would be great, I guess, but last time I
> looked it wasn't affordable for me. The Nokia runs the independent (?)
> kaiOS, so I'm looking for something non-android and non-ios. Any handset
> chosen has to voLTE compatible, which my handset says it is, but it's been
> deemed 'unfit' anyway :-(
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks.
> Gavin.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au
> https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug
> Committee e-mail: committee at plug.org.au
> PLUG Membership: http://www.plug.org.au/membership
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.plug.org.au/pipermail/plug/attachments/20260918/6f2ec2ea/attachment.htm>


More information about the plug mailing list