[plug] Fwd: Router slow down

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Sat Sep 26 10:38:05 AWST 2026


G'day Gavin,

What does just rebooting the NBN "modem" do ?

I'd be very surprised if it was an issue outside of your premises, especially since a power cycle brings it back.



On 26/9/26 08:38, gavinwc via plug wrote:
> Here's an interesting twist on my home router issue:
> Yes, it's been established that my router needs upgrading through replacement to get better wifi and LAN performance. Thanks for all the feedback in the past on that issue.
> 
> However, separate to that I'm seeing my connection speeds "clag up" and am wondering whether to be complaining to my provider or to NBN? I have FTTP, paying for 500 MBS plan. This drops to ~260Mbs passing through the router (as previously reported), but regularly drops to as low as <2Mbs after a day or two of uptime! That's outrageous!
> I can't be precise about there being a pattern because I'm not living in my primary home while I care for my ailing mother, and am responding to my son's reports of the speeds being "terrible".
> What I can confirm is that rebooting the router sees negligible improvement in speed, but rebooting the NBN modem and the router together instantly brings speed back to the three-figure realm expected and paid for.
> Provider problem or NBN problem? Which is most likely?
> 


More information about the plug mailing list