[plug] Solved - Re: Fwd: Router slow down
James Henstridge
james at jamesh.id.au
Wed Sep 30 21:35:13 AWST 2026
On Wed, 30 Sept 2026 at 12:54, gavinwc via plug <plug at plug.org.au> wrote:
> (BTW: I recognise that firewalls and such need to be handled at device level for traffic not passing through the router any more, though Ill wait for someone to point out something that I should be doing and I'd welcome that comment)
I suspect this only works because of how your ISP provides
connectivity. Presumably they're just running plain IP over the
ethernet port and using DHCP to assign an address. With the switch
connected to the NTD, presumably your ISP is allocating separate IP
addresses to each computer you connected.
If those are public IP addresses, I suspect they wouldn't be too happy
about this. If they're doing carrier grade NAT, perhaps they don't
care too much. They might still ask you to stop though.
Some other ISPs provide a PPPoE connection. While you can still go
without a router in this case (through the use of software like
rp-pppoe), only one computer can terminate the PPP connection so
connecting a switch to the NBN box wouldn't help.
James.
More information about the plug
mailing list