<div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><br></div>
<div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;" class="protonmail_signature_block protonmail_signature_block-empty">
    <div class="protonmail_signature_block-user protonmail_signature_block-empty">
        
            </div>
    
            <div class="protonmail_signature_block-proton protonmail_signature_block-empty">
        
            </div>
</div>
<div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Hi Bruce,</div><div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Before getting deep into the weed, I am curious what are you trying to achieve or the type of work you will do with your miniPC?</div><div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">My office will usually cycle employee laptop every 3-4 years and I usually collect discarded office laptops and repurpose them by installing linux. I would dare say those office laptops will most likely outperform most if not all miniPC in the $450 range.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">I know you seem to suggest you want to get a new machine instead of using a second-hand laptops. But if you're simply looking for a machine with higher performance than your current one, maybe you could try asking your son to see if there are any good condition laptops that are being discarded.</div><div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;"><br></div><div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Regards,</div><div style="font-family: Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;">Juneidy</div><div class="protonmail_quote">
        On Monday, September 14th, 2026 at 09:26, Bruce Axtens via plug <plug_at_plug_org_au_rqgvlrjawc@simplelogin.co> wrote:<br>
        <blockquote class="protonmail_quote" type="cite">
            <div dir="ltr"><div>Hello Pluglings (for want of a better term)</div><div><br></div><div>I'm still lurking here in the shadows. Have been for years, my son Daniel having been the impetus. He's now Principal Engineer for Fastly: <a href="https://www.fastly.com/blog/author/daniel-axtens" style="word-break: break-word;" target="_blank" rel="noreferrer nofollow noopener">https://www.fastly.com/blog/author/daniel-axtens</a></div><div><br></div><div>But I didn't come here to do that. My question is more mundane: after years of having various second-hand laptops as my home setup for Linux I'm now seriously considering laying out real money for a miniPC. Does the group have any suggestions re manufacturer and vendor? I'm thinking something in the $300-$450 range.</div><div><br></div><div>Kind regards,</div><div>Bruce Axtens</div></div>

        </blockquote><br>
    </div>