<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
  <head>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
  </head>
  <body>
    <p>Thanks Gavin </p>
    <p>I did see the NUC come up in searches, so that's vote in favour.
      I will be doing some photo editing tho nowhere near what you've
      been doing. </p>
    <p>Bruce.</p>
    <div class="moz-cite-prefix">On 14/09/2026 10:35 am, gavinwc via
      plug wrote:<br>
    </div>
    <blockquote type="cite"
cite="mid:CAFMc0cWxejUdv-MQA-h3+50Pq5H+jivna5VrS=ogEnafjkSHhQ@mail.gmail.com">
      <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
      <div dir="auto">Hi Bruce,
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">I think you've been 'lurking' for around as long
          as me. In fact, many, many years ago I'm pretty sure I bought
          some used kit from you? Well done on your son getting to work
          in his passion area!</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">As far as the mini-PC, I'm going to issue a
          caution, but it may not apply to your price-point. That is, I
          wanted power with small size a couple of years ago because I
          wanted to edit all those hi-res landscape shots I'd been
          taking for years. The mini I settled on was the Intel NUC,
          which i packed with goodies (of the time) in the shape of 12th
          gen i7, 64Gb ram and 2Tb SSD. The same specs in a laptop would
          have cost at least 3 times the price.</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">However, here is the caution - the small form
          factor with hard-working components works VERY hot. Often
          super hot in fact. After a period of streaming with 100s (yes,
          100s) of tabs open and working on a high res photo, the little
          brick gets so hot that it goes into safety mode and seizes up
          with its little fan trying to get the brick taking off into
          orbit! Haha. </div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">So, I have all that power, but the form factor
          is hobbling it. Just FYI, I did look into some fandangle
          fanless cases for this board, but they're very steeply priced,
          so I get by with a room fan blowing across the box as it hangs
          on the back of the monitor 😕</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">So, buyer beware depending on your application.
          If my needs and practices were more restrained, though, I can
          say that I'm well impressed with the nucs as an option.</div>
        <div dir="auto"><br>
        </div>
        <div dir="auto">Gavin</div>
      </div>
      <br>
      <div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container">
        <div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Mon, 14 Sep 2026, 09:26
          Bruce Axtens via plug, <<a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">plug@plug.org.au</a>>
          wrote:<br>
        </div>
        <blockquote class="gmail_quote"
style="margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
          <div dir="ltr">
            <div>Hello Pluglings (for want of a better term)</div>
            <div><br>
            </div>
            <div>I'm still lurking here in the shadows. Have been for
              years, my son Daniel having been the impetus. He's now
              Principal Engineer for Fastly: <a
                href="https://www.fastly.com/blog/author/daniel-axtens"
                target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
                class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://www.fastly.com/blog/author/daniel-axtens</a></div>
            <div><br>
            </div>
            <div>But I didn't come here to do that. My question is more
              mundane: after years of having various second-hand laptops
              as my home setup for Linux I'm now seriously considering
              laying out real money for a miniPC. Does the group have
              any suggestions re manufacturer and vendor? I'm thinking
              something in the $300-$450 range.</div>
            <div><br>
            </div>
            <div>Kind regards,</div>
            <div>Bruce Axtens</div>
          </div>
          _______________________________________________<br>
          PLUG discussion list: <a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au"
            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">plug@plug.org.au</a><br>
          <a href="https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug</a><br>
          Committee e-mail: <a href="mailto:committee@plug.org.au"
            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer" moz-do-not-send="true"
            class="moz-txt-link-freetext">committee@plug.org.au</a><br>
          PLUG Membership: <a href="http://www.plug.org.au/membership"
            rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
            moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.plug.org.au/membership</a><br>
        </blockquote>
      </div>
      <br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre wrap="" class="moz-quote-pre">_______________________________________________
PLUG discussion list: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au">plug@plug.org.au</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug">https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug</a>
Committee e-mail: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:committee@plug.org.au">committee@plug.org.au</a>
PLUG Membership: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.plug.org.au/membership">http://www.plug.org.au/membership</a>
</pre>
    </blockquote>
  </body>
</html>