<div dir="ltr"><div>I will have to pay attention to the fine details. I have a screen like this: <a href="https://www.samsung.com/au/monitors/gaming/odyssey-g9-g95c-49-inch-240hz-curved-dual-qhd-ls49cg954eexxy/">https://www.samsung.com/au/monitors/gaming/odyssey-g9-g95c-49-inch-240hz-curved-dual-qhd-ls49cg954eexxy/</a> both at work and at home (covid-era WFH setup). As for a unit lacking wifi, I do have powerline ethernet adaptors in a cupboard somewhere.</div><div><br></div><div>-Bruce</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Tue, 15 Sept 2026 at 09:47, Gregory Orange via plug <<a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au">plug@plug.org.au</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">When I was considering a plug PC or some other low power thing well over ten years ago, Dad gave me an Intel NUC i5 - quite a fine birthday present. I replaced the failing 2.5" spinner with a 2.5" SSD maybe four years ago, and otherwise it's been great. Maybe I could put in a M2 or U3 or whatever they're called but I'm lazy.<br>
<br>
It has done a fine job of running Syncthing, Pi-hole, rdiff-backup and a couple of other odds and ends.<br>
<br>
--<br>
Gregory Orange<br>
<br>
<br>
On Monday, 14 September 2026 at 3:46 PM, Byron Hammond via plug <<a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au" target="_blank">plug@plug.org.au</a>> wrote:<br>
<br>
> I have had success with Intel NUCs personally for home usage.I started with a 6th gen NUC and then upgraded to a 13th gen.<br>
> Asus and others manufacture them now for Intel.<br>
> They perform well for my needs, which are home server based...<br>
> Media server (Jellyfin), Web Server, Audio Server (Navidrome) and various others.<br>
> They are pricey imo, so you can get lesser brand chinese ones to save a few bucks, although I don't know if I'd place as much trust in them in terms of spyware/malware.<br>
> Some brands I know of include Beelink, BossGame, GMKTek.<br>
> There are other ones as well and they often will all advertise as on special very often, but again, be careful.<br>
> They often like to advertise that, but do your own cost comparisons.<br>
> eBay is a known marketplace for a lot of hardware. Aliexpress is Chinese based marketplace you might want to check, that has a lot of these things.<br>
> <br>
> Best of luck<br>
> Byron<br>
> <br>
> On Mon, 14 Sept 2026 at 13:40, Bruce Axtens via plug <<a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au" target="_blank">plug@plug.org.au</a>> wrote:<br>
> <br>
> > > I am curious what are you trying to achieve or the type of work you will do with your miniPC?<br>
> > <br>
> > - Assorted bits of dotnet development in C#<br>
> > - I'm a maintainer and language track developer for <a href="http://exercism.org" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">exercism.org</a> (helped with COBOL, 8th, and Euphoria tracks and working on SNOBOL4 track)<br>
> > - I have three Substack accounts I write into occasionally:<br>
> > <br>
> > - <a href="https://calvingicebergs.substack.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://calvingicebergs.substack.com/</a><br>
> > - <a href="https://playingwithmyfood.substack.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://playingwithmyfood.substack.com/</a><br>
> > - <a href="https://skipdipper.substack.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://skipdipper.substack.com/</a><br>
> > <br>
> > - Microsoft Teams and PowerPoint (I'm the "Order of Service" builder for my church (Three Crosses WPC))<br>
> > <br>
> > That's the top four of lots of other miscellaneous activity.<br>
> > <br>
> > -Bruce.<br>
> > <br>
> > On 14/09/2026 11:07 am, Juneidy Wibowo wrote:<br>
> > <br>
> > > <br>
> > > <br>
> > > Hi Bruce,<br>
> > > <br>
> > > Before getting deep into the weed, I am curious what are you trying to achieve or the type of work you will do with your miniPC?<br>
> > > <br>
> > > My office will usually cycle employee laptop every 3-4 years and I usually collect discarded office laptops and repurpose them by installing linux. I would dare say those office laptops will most likely outperform most if not all miniPC in the $450 range.<br>
> > > <br>
> > > I know you seem to suggest you want to get a new machine instead of using a second-hand laptops. But if you're simply looking for a machine with higher performance than your current one, maybe you could try asking your son to see if there are any good condition laptops that are being discarded.<br>
> > > <br>
> > > Regards,<br>
> > > Juneidy<br>
> > > On Monday, September 14th, 2026 at 09:26, Bruce Axtens via plug <<a href="mailto:plug_at_plug_org_au_rqgvlrjawc@simplelogin.co" target="_blank">plug_at_plug_org_au_rqgvlrjawc@simplelogin.co</a>> wrote:<br>
> > > <br>
> > > > Hello Pluglings (for want of a better term)<br>
> > > > <br>
> > > > I'm still lurking here in the shadows. Have been for years, my son Daniel having been the impetus. He's now Principal Engineer for Fastly: <a href="https://www.fastly.com/blog/author/daniel-axtens" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.fastly.com/blog/author/daniel-axtens</a><br>
> > > > <br>
> > > > But I didn't come here to do that. My question is more mundane: after years of having various second-hand laptops as my home setup for Linux I'm now seriously considering laying out real money for a miniPC. Does the group have any suggestions re manufacturer and vendor? I'm thinking something in the $300-$450 range.<br>
> > > > <br>
> > > > Kind regards,<br>
> > > > Bruce Axtens<br>
> > <br>
> > _______________________________________________<br>
> > PLUG discussion list: <a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au" target="_blank">plug@plug.org.au</a><br>
> > <a href="https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug</a><br>
> > Committee e-mail: <a href="mailto:committee@plug.org.au" target="_blank">committee@plug.org.au</a><br>
> > PLUG Membership: <a href="http://www.plug.org.au/membership" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.plug.org.au/membership</a><br>
_______________________________________________<br>
PLUG discussion list: <a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au" target="_blank">plug@plug.org.au</a><br>
<a href="https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug</a><br>
Committee e-mail: <a href="mailto:committee@plug.org.au" target="_blank">committee@plug.org.au</a><br>
PLUG Membership: <a href="http://www.plug.org.au/membership" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.plug.org.au/membership</a><br>
</blockquote></div>