<!DOCTYPE html><html><head><title></title></head><body><div>Bruce</div><div>You mentioned you wanted to edit photos on your Samsung gaming monitor. I came across this video.</div><div>Cheers Ivan</div><div><br></div><div>Most photographers spend thousands on cameras and lenses, then look at the results on a cheap monitor bought years ago for gaming. This video explains why that matters: what a colour space actually is, why sRGB-only panels can't show you the saturated reds, oranges and greens your camera captured, and why P3 has become the standard everywhere except the screen on your desk.</div><div><a href="https://youtu.be/VV0V_suKFbY?si=HcGhjcSlNRNfFUJg">https://youtu.be/VV0V_suKFbY?si=HcGhjcSlNRNfFUJg</a></div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>On Tue, 15 Sep 2026, at 10:32 AM, Bruce Axtens via plug wrote:</div><blockquote type="cite" id="qt" style=""><div dir="ltr"><div>I will have to pay attention to the fine details. I have a screen like this: <a href="https://www.samsung.com/au/monitors/gaming/odyssey-g9-g95c-49-inch-240hz-curved-dual-qhd-ls49cg954eexxy/">https://www.samsung.com/au/monitors/gaming/odyssey-g9-g95c-49-inch-240hz-curved-dual-qhd-ls49cg954eexxy/</a> both at work and at home (covid-era WFH setup). As for a unit lacking wifi, I do have powerline ethernet adaptors in a cupboard somewhere.</div><div><br></div><div>-Bruce</div></div><div><br></div><div class="qt-gmail_quote qt-gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="qt-gmail_attr">On Tue, 15 Sept 2026 at 09:47, Gregory Orange via plug <<a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au">plug@plug.org.au</a>> wrote:</div><blockquote class="qt-gmail_quote" style="margin-top:0px;margin-right:0px;margin-bottom:0px;margin-left:0.8ex;border-left-width:1px;border-left-style:solid;border-left-color:rgb(204, 204, 204);padding-left:1ex;"><div>When I was considering a plug PC or some other low power thing well over ten years ago, Dad gave me an Intel NUC i5 - quite a fine birthday present. I replaced the failing 2.5" spinner with a 2.5" SSD maybe four years ago, and otherwise it's been great. Maybe I could put in a M2 or U3 or whatever they're called but I'm lazy.</div><div> <br></div><div> It has done a fine job of running Syncthing, Pi-hole, rdiff-backup and a couple of other odds and ends.</div><div> <br></div><div> --</div><div> Gregory Orange</div><div> <br></div><div> <br></div><div> On Monday, 14 September 2026 at 3:46 PM, Byron Hammond via plug <<a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au" target="_blank">plug@plug.org.au</a>> wrote:</div><div> <br></div><div> > I have had success with Intel NUCs personally for home usage.I started with a 6th gen NUC and then upgraded to a 13th gen.</div><div> > Asus and others manufacture them now for Intel.</div><div> > They perform well for my needs, which are home server based...</div><div> > Media server (Jellyfin), Web Server, Audio Server (Navidrome) and various others.</div><div> > They are pricey imo, so you can get lesser brand chinese ones to save a few bucks, although I don't know if I'd place as much trust in them in terms of spyware/malware.</div><div> > Some brands I know of include Beelink, BossGame, GMKTek.</div><div> > There are other ones as well and they often will all advertise as on special very often, but again, be careful.</div><div> > They often like to advertise that, but do your own cost comparisons.</div><div> > eBay is a known marketplace for a lot of hardware. Aliexpress is Chinese based marketplace you might want to check, that has a lot of these things.</div><div> > </div><div> > Best of luck</div><div> > Byron</div><div> > </div><div> > On Mon, 14 Sept 2026 at 13:40, Bruce Axtens via plug <<a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au" target="_blank">plug@plug.org.au</a>> wrote:</div><div> > </div><div> > > > I am curious what are you trying to achieve or the type of work you will do with your miniPC?</div><div> > > </div><div> > > -   Assorted bits of dotnet development in C#</div><div> > > -   I'm a maintainer and language track developer for <a href="http://exercism.org" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">exercism.org</a> (helped with COBOL, 8th, and Euphoria tracks and working on SNOBOL4 track)</div><div> > > -   I have three Substack accounts I write into occasionally:</div><div> > > </div><div> > > -   <a href="https://calvingicebergs.substack.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://calvingicebergs.substack.com/</a></div><div> > > -   <a href="https://playingwithmyfood.substack.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://playingwithmyfood.substack.com/</a></div><div> > > -   <a href="https://skipdipper.substack.com/" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://skipdipper.substack.com/</a></div><div> > > </div><div> > > -   Microsoft Teams and PowerPoint (I'm the "Order of Service" builder for my church (Three Crosses WPC))</div><div> > > </div><div> > > That's the top four of lots of other miscellaneous activity.</div><div> > > </div><div> > > -Bruce.</div><div> > > </div><div> > > On 14/09/2026 11:07 am, Juneidy Wibowo wrote:</div><div> > > </div><div> > > > </div><div> > > > </div><div> > > > Hi Bruce,</div><div> > > > </div><div> > > > Before getting deep into the weed, I am curious what are you trying to achieve or the type of work you will do with your miniPC?</div><div> > > > </div><div> > > > My office will usually cycle employee laptop every 3-4 years and I usually collect discarded office laptops and repurpose them by installing linux. I would dare say those office laptops will most likely outperform most if not all miniPC in the $450 range.</div><div> > > > </div><div> > > > I know you seem to suggest you want to get a new machine instead of using a second-hand laptops. But if you're simply looking for a machine with higher performance than your current one, maybe you could try asking your son to see if there are any good condition laptops that are being discarded.</div><div> > > > </div><div> > > > Regards,</div><div> > > > Juneidy</div><div> > > > On Monday, September 14th, 2026 at 09:26, Bruce Axtens via plug <<a href="mailto:plug_at_plug_org_au_rqgvlrjawc@simplelogin.co" target="_blank">plug_at_plug_org_au_rqgvlrjawc@simplelogin.co</a>> wrote:</div><div> > > > </div><div> > > > > Hello Pluglings (for want of a better term)</div><div> > > > > </div><div> > > > > I'm still lurking here in the shadows. Have been for years, my son Daniel having been the impetus. He's now Principal Engineer for Fastly: <a href="https://www.fastly.com/blog/author/daniel-axtens" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://www.fastly.com/blog/author/daniel-axtens</a></div><div> > > > > </div><div> > > > > But I didn't come here to do that. My question is more mundane: after years of having various second-hand laptops as my home setup for Linux I'm now seriously considering laying out real money for a miniPC. Does the group have any suggestions re manufacturer and vendor? I'm thinking something in the $300-$450 range.</div><div> > > > > </div><div> > > > > Kind regards,</div><div> > > > > Bruce Axtens</div><div> > > </div><div> > > _______________________________________________</div><div> > > PLUG discussion list: <a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au" target="_blank">plug@plug.org.au</a></div><div> > > <a href="https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug</a></div><div> > > Committee e-mail: <a href="mailto:committee@plug.org.au" target="_blank">committee@plug.org.au</a></div><div> > > PLUG Membership: <a href="http://www.plug.org.au/membership" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.plug.org.au/membership</a></div><div> _______________________________________________</div><div> PLUG discussion list: <a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au" target="_blank">plug@plug.org.au</a></div><div> <a href="https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug</a></div><div> Committee e-mail: <a href="mailto:committee@plug.org.au" target="_blank">committee@plug.org.au</a></div><div> PLUG Membership: <a href="http://www.plug.org.au/membership" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.plug.org.au/membership</a></div></blockquote></div><div>_______________________________________________</div><div>PLUG discussion list: <a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au">plug@plug.org.au</a></div><div><a href="https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug">https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug</a></div><div>Committee e-mail: <a href="mailto:committee@plug.org.au">committee@plug.org.au</a></div><div>PLUG Membership: <a href="http://www.plug.org.au/membership">http://www.plug.org.au/membership</a></div><div><br></div></blockquote></body></html>