<div dir="ltr"><div dir="ltr"><div>Thanks for the latest input on this topic, Brad :-)</div><div><br></div><div>As said in a previous post, I'm not living full-time at home atm, so my chance to explore fixes has been heavily limited. However, having been home for past few days I have got a 'no-cost solution' that I hope holds up. </div><div><br></div><div>I'll point out that a lot of my thinking and terminology was outdated adsl thinking, such as calling the NBN NTD a "modem" - thanks for correcting that, Brad :-). I also thought "you beauty!" remembering that my NTD had FOUR gigabit ports, so I can use that directly as my router . . .  No, you can't, you dolt! Kicked myself for forgetting that little fact! haha. </div></div><div><br></div><div>At first, I just ran with my PC directly to the NTD, and to hell with the rest of the household, right? Silly man. So, instead I dusted off a (not too) old four-port gigabit switch, so my lan to three rooms is serviced by switched connection to the NTD and the old tp-link wifi router hangs off one switched port for all the other wireless devices in the house.</div><div><br></div><div>(BTW: I recognise that firewalls and such need to be handled at device level for traffic not passing through the router any more, though Ill wait for someone to point out something that I should be doing and I'd welcome that comment)</div><div><br></div><div>With this no-cost change to hardware, on my 500Mbps plan I'm now consistently seeing 500+Mbps by lan, and even 300+Mbps by 5G wifi two rooms away from the router. Hope I haven't jinxed it by announcing it publicly (wink), but thanks to you folk helping me think this through with your suggestions the bleeding obvious was there all along. I'm thinking hammers and nails, for all those familiar with the old saying :-).  </div><div></div><div><br></div><div>cheers.</div><div>Gavin.</div><div>    </div><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Sat, 26 Sept 2026 at 10:38, Brad Campbell via plug <<a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au">plug@plug.org.au</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">G'day Gavin,<br>
<br>
What does just rebooting the NBN "modem" do ?<br>
<br>
I'd be very surprised if it was an issue outside of your premises, especially since a power cycle brings it back.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
On 26/9/26 08:38, gavinwc via plug wrote:<br>
> Here's an interesting twist on my home router issue:<br>
> Yes, it's been established that my router needs upgrading through replacement to get better wifi and LAN performance. Thanks for all the feedback in the past on that issue.<br>
> <br>
> However, separate to that I'm seeing my connection speeds "clag up" and am wondering whether to be complaining to my provider or to NBN? I have FTTP, paying for 500 MBS plan. This drops to ~260Mbs passing through the router (as previously reported), but regularly drops to as low as <2Mbs after a day or two of uptime! That's outrageous!<br>
> I can't be precise about there being a pattern because I'm not living in my primary home while I care for my ailing mother, and am responding to my son's reports of the speeds being "terrible".<br>
> What I can confirm is that rebooting the router sees negligible improvement in speed, but rebooting the NBN modem and the router together instantly brings speed back to the three-figure realm expected and paid for.<br>
> Provider problem or NBN problem? Which is most likely?<br>
> <br>
_______________________________________________<br>
PLUG discussion list: <a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au" target="_blank">plug@plug.org.au</a><br>
<a href="https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://lists.plug.org.au/mailman/listinfo/plug</a><br>
Committee e-mail: <a href="mailto:committee@plug.org.au" target="_blank">committee@plug.org.au</a><br>
PLUG Membership: <a href="http://www.plug.org.au/membership" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">http://www.plug.org.au/membership</a><br>
</blockquote></div></div>