<div dir="ltr"><div>Thanks, James.</div><div><br></div><div>You're very likely right. For some reason my switch is allowing one lan connection direct to the NTD along with the router for wifi on another port. The latter is a surprise bonus as it seems that the other two lan ports aren't getting an IP address when my PC is active on the switch. Oh well, guess I will be replacing that dodgy router after all for the sake of family-wide lan connection. </div><div><br></div><div>Cheers.</div><div>Gavin</div></div><br><div class="gmail_quote gmail_quote_container"><div dir="ltr" class="gmail_attr">On Wed, 30 Sept 2026 at 21:35, James Henstridge <<a href="mailto:james@jamesh.id.au">james@jamesh.id.au</a>> wrote:<br></div><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">On Wed, 30 Sept 2026 at 12:54, gavinwc via plug <<a href="mailto:plug@plug.org.au" target="_blank">plug@plug.org.au</a>> wrote:<br>
> (BTW: I recognise that firewalls and such need to be handled at device level for traffic not passing through the router any more, though Ill wait for someone to point out something that I should be doing and I'd welcome that comment)<br>
<br>
I suspect this only works because of how your ISP provides<br>
connectivity. Presumably they're just running plain IP over the<br>
ethernet port and using DHCP to assign an address. With the switch<br>
connected to the NTD, presumably your ISP is allocating separate IP<br>
addresses to each computer you connected.<br>
<br>
If those are public IP addresses, I suspect they wouldn't be too happy<br>
about this. If they're doing carrier grade NAT, perhaps they don't<br>
care too much. They might still ask you to stop though.<br>
<br>
Some other ISPs provide a PPPoE connection. While you can still go<br>
without a router in this case (through the use of software like<br>
rp-pppoe), only one computer can terminate the PPP connection so<br>
connecting a switch to the NBN box wouldn't help.<br>
<br>
James.<br>
</blockquote></div>