[PLUG-AV] No kit yet :(

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Mar 8 14:39:49 WST 2011

On 8/03/2011 2:29 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:
> Be nice to get stuck into this one. Unfortunately I won't be there
> tonight, being a Tuesday. :(

I suspect we'll have a weekend hacking session somewhere in our near
future when kit turns up. Potentially at UCC, UWA as there's a
reasonable space and power in The Loft of Cameron Hall (while its still
there).... unless there is a better place for us to work on this?

>> I did speak with LA president
>> John Felito today about the project, and indicated that we'd be
>> interested in putting in a grant application for kit once we've got our
>> toes wet with what we've now got; he was fully supportive of this. he
>> also said we should look at the LA wiki where the Brisbane LCA guys have
>> been documenting their efforts, and we may want to contribute to that
>> effort there.
>>
>> I'll be at Artifactory early tonight if you'd like to catch up before
>> hand to talk about and develop our plans.
>>
>>  James
>>
> Grant?  Excellent!  If we can make something nice and polished of this
> that would be great.  I can think of a few club/community
> organisations that could use such a setup if it proves to be workable
> for a reasonable budget and skill set.  Perhaps for the right cause
> the PLUG setup may be able to be used (with appropriate safeguards, $?
> and conditions etc) by such community organisations from time to time?
>  Just a thought.

I suspect that the instructions we come up with will be, but I would
consider that our kit would need one of our members to be with it for it
to OK with everyone. I suspect one room will cost us close to $2,000 all
up - we've spent around $1000 on Twinpact, wireless mic, a pair of
firewire PCI cards (one PCI, one PCI-e), 3 x headsets, and shipping from
the US. There's no cameras, tripods, network switch and cable, or PCs
yet; we have a camera I can lend, and I think Nick has one plus a
tripod, and I have a bag of cables and connectors to donate. We'll need
a case/crate (not plastic, but stronger, possibly on strong wheels,
possibly lockable) to put this in soon.

I see this as a training exercise for us to get up to speed for any possibly LCA, so the more events we can practice on, the better. Hey, we could event rent out our services to other organisations? 50% to PLUG, 50% to people working the kit? But that's a long way down the road until we're that good. :)

Anyone got any leads yet on more equipment we could use?

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to