[PLUG-AV] Amazon order has arrived! Let's meet up.

Nick Bannon nick-plugav at rcpt.to
Thu Mar 10 22:12:58 WST 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 08:42:16PM +0800, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> The whole point of a challenge is to challenge, a bit of fun.  We can
> completely fail but still learn in the process. Regardless I will be
> attempting to record the talk by myself so I hardly think it's impossible
> nor necessary for everything to be perfect.

I like the challenge idea; might help us get ready for videoing the
April or May PLUG talks, too.

I should be able to make Wednesday 16th March - can you, Jason?

I should be able to make Saturday 19th March as well.

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I realise I opened the 'use the kit for non plug events' can of worms,
> > but I think the time frame for doing that is going to be quite long.
> > I'm thinking it's in the order of many months /minimum/.  We have a
> > long way to go first.  ;)

I like that can of worms - making that possible gives us incentive to
do it robustly, rather than rely on the assumed knowledge of "do it the
same way in the same place as last time, oh hang on, something broke,
quick patch it together".

There is the fallback to simple recording, and at least there's the
wireless microphone to try.

There also some old PLUG mini-DV recordings we can try getting online
sometime, I think.

I went to an auction today, there's Core2Duo DELL Optiplex 745's,
small desktops going for about $160; and similar spec'ed laptops for
$200. Similar Apple Macbooks had a reserve price for $400. New hardware
has that robust repeatable aspect to it, of course.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal