[PLUG-AV] Amazon order has arrived! Let's meet up.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Mar 11 00:11:30 WST 2011

On 10/03/2011 10:12 PM, Nick Bannon wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 08:42:16PM +0800, Jason Nicholls wrote:
>> The whole point of a challenge is to challenge, a bit of fun.  We can
>> completely fail but still learn in the process. Regardless I will be
>> attempting to record the talk by myself so I hardly think it's impossible
>> nor necessary for everything to be perfect.
> I like the challenge idea; might help us get ready for videoing the
> April or May PLUG talks, too.

If we're ready then perhaps. But I think we're going to take months
until we're up to this.
> I should be able to make Wednesday 16th March - can you, Jason?
> I should be able to make Saturday 19th March as well.
>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I realise I opened the 'use the kit for non plug events' can of worms,
>>> but I think the time frame for doing that is going to be quite long.
>>> I'm thinking it's in the order of many months /minimum/.  We have a
>>> long way to go first.  ;)
> I like that can of worms - making that possible gives us incentive to
> do it robustly, rather than rely on the assumed knowledge of "do it the
> same way in the same place as last time, oh hang on, something broke,
> quick patch it together".
>
> There is the fallback to simple recording, and at least there's the
> wireless microphone to try.
I don't have the time to import and post process previous recordings.
For me, its live, record to file, replay that. Job done, move on.

> There also some old PLUG mini-DV recordings we can try getting online
> sometime, I think.
Again, time.

> I went to an auction today, there's Core2Duo DELL Optiplex 745's,
> small desktops going for about $160; and similar spec'ed laptops for
> $200. Similar Apple Macbooks had a reserve price for $400. New hardware
> has that robust repeatable aspect to it, of course.

Well, we're going to have to get 3 small PCs for DV -> Ethernet and
mumble. I guess dual core should be OK. But if we were to purchase off
the shelf, what would we go for? Cuppuccino PC Digital Engine DE45HG?
What about this http://www.cooldrives.com/satofimiad2x.html - don't know
if it will work for streaming, or under Linux? Modified GuruPLUG (AM based)?

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to