[PLUG-AV] Streaming Tests

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Apr 6 09:21:56 WST 2011

On 6/04/2011 8:08 AM, Leon Wright wrote:
> Just thinking out aloud, is there anyway to take advantage of the GPU
> for encoding? With say CUDA or OpenCL?
Just looking around I came across /Badaboom /on Windows, a commercial
product, and a comparison of it on Anandtech:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2586/5

Kind of shows that for average Graphics cards, its no better than an
average CPU.

I also came across a thread that the /x264/ project (look on
videolan.org) had someone spend some time on the idea (through /Anvil
Studios/), and they gave up.

Also a comment on whirlpool said:

    PS there is no doubt it will be useful for decoding (which is what
    Cyberlink, et al are using it for), but for encoding you have to
    realise encoding is not a completely "parallel" process (in other
    words, at some point, 500 GPU/CPU's won't be any faster then
    100GPU/CPU's), current macroblock data relying on previous
    macroblock data, etc

And there were comments from an Intel engineer saying something similar
- its not truly parallel because some parts of the scene being
compressed depend upon other parts. But of course, Intel want to sell
another CPU... :)

Hm.

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to