[PLUG-AV] Testing with av3

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Apr 6 23:43:59 WST 2011

Hi
So I ran up dvswitch on av3 tonight (Celeron 2.8 GHz). I used
dvsource-file with two DV files from another host on the network (my
Revo), working in a while loop to just keep sending the video when they
got to the end.

Load Average just running dvswitch on av3 was around 1.3, so a little
high, but then it had no room for encoding. So this machine is not up to
the grade for Next week as the principle DVswitch + compression host.

I was trying to send to our PLUG Icecast server, and everything
connected fine, but the stream was garbled and unusable due to the CPU
constraint (load up to 2.5). I tried dropping from the documented-on-wiki:
dvsink-command -- ffmpeg2theora - -f dv -F 25:5 --speedlevel 0 -v 4 -a 0
-c 1 -H 9600 -o -

to the documented-in-readme:
dvsink-command -h 192.168.1.69 -p 1234 -- ffmpeg2theora -o - -f dv -x 320 -y 420 --aspect 4:3 --deinterlace -

But still not enough CPU to get that through. I even tried compressing
the DV on a separate box (back on the Revo), and while ffmpeg2theora
chomped up 100% CPU there, DVswitch itself was still pushing load
average high (the 1.3 above mentioned).

I suspect that we will need a multi-core box to put DVswitch on one
core, and Theora on another (and possibly oggfwd on a third, murmur on a
fourth?).

The only other thing that stuck me was the on-network bandwidth of a DV
stream being around 36 MB/sec. That's three streams in and we're already
topping out 100 Mbit/sec in to the DVswitch host.

More power.

Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to