[PLUG-AV] DRAFT LA Grant request for AV

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Apr 14 11:21:35 WST 2011

Hi James

On 14/04/11 10:17, James Bromberger wrote:

>> Who would PLUG, gear, and Free tools be "competing" with in Perth if it was
>> used for more than PLUG talks ?

> But at the same time, they may provide a full service (people and
> equipment), while we're providing knowledge.

I think I see what you're saying here. The project is about building the suite
and documenting it whereas the grant provides the hardware to test that setup
? Ok.

>> In putting the application, could the system be justified by obtaining
>> expressions of interest or intent to use the system from
>> BarCamp http://barcamp.org/w/page/401351/BarCampPerth (talk to Matt Didcoe)
>> through to Green Drinks http://www.greendrinks.org//Perth
>> (someone, Julie? has replaced Wilma Van Boxtel http://o2wa.blogspot.com/)
>
> If we have PLUG members (paid up, full members) then I think they could
> borrow the equipment on condition it comes back as good or better than
> it went out! Ie, if they break a $200 camera, they replace it with an
> equivalent or better camera.

This could be a difficulty of making the gear available at all if the risk is
that s/h consumer cameras are hard to replace.

>> If the intention is communication of only Free and OSS projects and activities
>> then that can be expressed as the scope for uses of the system. LA may see
>> justification for the project funding if it is used more widely than the PLUG
>> talks.
> I think positioning it as not "PLUG talks", but "by the "Open Source and
> Free Software community of Perth", potentially?

Yes I think so. How others get to use it gets figured out later. Do you mind
if I chat to Matt Didcoe at least about BarCamp ?

>> Also, if PLUG can justify a small fee for non-PLUG event streaming, would LA
>> consider an interest free loan for all or part of the funds with expectation
>> of recovery of funds over 5 years or something ?
> There be dragons. Suddenly we're a business and we need accounts,
> invoices, tax, and staff.

Ah. Ok. Yes. So I now wonder if LA mind funding gear that PLUG members might
use for their own commercial gain. I'm looking for ways to turn the hardware
asset into income but I guess a member then making a donation to PLUG is a bit
too not-arms-length. Perhaps the committee could ponder this. Can PLUG members
use the gear (all care and replace damage if it happens) to provide the
streaming service for a fee ? We are talking about a small fee but enough to
provide a barrier for people who would otherwise say "Oh, PLUG does this for
free so we'll exploit^Winvite them to participate in our awesome meetup"
I guess I've learned my lesson from Computer Angels there.

I'd consider this a bit. When the system is refined and people feel confident
that it is robust, there could be quite a number of uses for it. But I guess
I'm still thinking of the facility (incl hardware) and not the project
(knowledge).

>> I didn't see the stream but I wondered if the system could include a chat
>> window on the web page so everything is available through the browser ?
>> This would be more like Webinar interfaces I've used for manufacturer
>> promotions etc and makes it even easier for people to participate.
> yet more scope for more projects that people can get involved in. There
> may already be (open?) tools like this?? I don't know. We were just
> using IRC for feedback; the other option is to use mumble and we can get
> audio back.

Ok. I was thinking of simplicity for even non-Linux users. I don't know how
fraught is getting a mumble like tool going on Windows/Mac. If small then
good. I don't know that audio is necessary since you really want questions
remotely not a continuous conversation with many streamers.

>> I don't know if L3-Nautronix would provide bandwidth but could the system be
>> used to gain a wider audience next month and present audience numbers to LA as
>> further justification for the grant ? What concerns me is that people had the
>> chance to just try the system (regardless of the content of my talk) but the
>> streaming audience was small. I'm wondering if a more mainstream talk will
>> attract numbers that justify not only the funding but also support the effort
>> of you, the team, doing this.
>
> We'll be trying to stream every PLUG talk from now on, I think. No
> reason to stop. We've got a small audience, I agree. But that audience
> is relying on us to make the stream available. I'm thinking of the guys
> in Katanning, and possible other regions that may start to become
> apparent that PLUG can start to reach out to. Who knows, perhaps oneday
> we'll be WALUG instead of PLUG? :)

I think the whole project is good from that POV and for streams for other
things like Green Drinks to reach the regions.

> Also, when firing up DVswitch on a single core box, it says "DVswitch 1
> thread", but when I fire it up on a quad core, it says "4 threads", so
> perhaps DVswitch does better on multi core.

Ok.

>> I've got to do less free. But perhaps I could help out with some documentation.
>
> Please! Yes. I've started some rudimentary documentation onthe PLUG web
> site at http://www.plug.org.au/projects/. Please sign up for an account,
> and I'll give you rights to edit alll pages there. Same goes for
> everyone else - let me know your usernames and you can (please) edit the
> (entire) PLUG web site!!!

My username is harrymc.

I don't know your setup of the system. Are you (three?) meeting again and able
to explain it to me ? I could try to document it as it is and the doc could be
adjusted as the hardware changes and the system is refined. I sounds like the
first experience already has prompted some ideas for static IPs etc.

All the best
Harry