[PLUG-AV] DRAFT LA Grant request for AV

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Apr 14 12:27:00 WST 2011

On 14/04/2011 11:21 AM, Harry McNally wrote:
> Hi James
>
> On 14/04/11 10:17, James Bromberger wrote:
>
>>> Who would PLUG, gear, and Free tools be "competing" with in Perth if it was
>>> used for more than PLUG talks ?
>> But at the same time, they may provide a full service (people and
>> equipment), while we're providing knowledge.
> I think I see what you're saying here. The project is about building the suite
> and documenting it whereas the grant provides the hardware to test that setup
> ? Ok.
I'm more thinking about the "competing". We're not offering a commercial
service (yet, or would we)?  We're basing ourselves on Open Source
software to further open source; if we were commercial, then we'd have
to meet commercial requirements, which may meen moving away from FLOSS.

>>> If the intention is communication of only Free and OSS projects and activities
>>> then that can be expressed as the scope for uses of the system. LA may see
>>> justification for the project funding if it is used more widely than the PLUG
>>> talks.
>> I think positioning it as not "PLUG talks", but "by the "Open Source and
>> Free Software community of Perth", potentially?
> Yes I think so. How others get to use it gets figured out later. Do you mind
> if I chat to Matt Didcoe at least about BarCamp ?

Please do. I would imaging that PLUG members would be intersted in
BarCamp, and it is along the same lines (open source) so would still
meet the "goals and objects" of the association (PLUG).

>>> Also, if PLUG can justify a small fee for non-PLUG event streaming, would LA
>>> consider an interest free loan for all or part of the funds with expectation
>>> of recovery of funds over 5 years or something ?
>> There be dragons. Suddenly we're a business and we need accounts,
>> invoices, tax, and staff.
> Ah. Ok. Yes. So I now wonder if LA mind funding gear that PLUG members might
> use for their own commercial gain.
Indeed, they specifically do NOT allow this in the terms of their grants.

> I'm looking for ways to turn the hardware
> asset into income but I guess a member then making a donation to PLUG is a bit
> too not-arms-length. Perhaps the committee could ponder this. Can PLUG members
> use the gear (all care and replace damage if it happens) to provide the
> streaming service for a fee ? We are talking about a small fee but enough to
> provide a barrier for people who would otherwise say "Oh, PLUG does this for
> free so we'll exploit^Winvite them to participate in our awesome meetup"
> I guess I've learned my lesson from Computer Angels there.

Indeed. Your time is more valuable than that. I would suggest that PLUG
would be happy to show people how to do it, but if a 3rd party group
wanted to assemble their own equipment and team then thats their
project. If PLUG members want to participate in that, thats up to them.
But the PLUG implementation (equipment) would be for PLUG "condoned"
purposes, and not for commercial purposes.

> I'd consider this a bit. When the system is refined and people feel confident
> that it is robust, there could be quite a number of uses for it. But I guess
> I'm still thinking of the facility (incl hardware) and not the project
> (knowledge).
>
>>> I didn't see the stream but I wondered if the system could include a chat
>>> window on the web page so everything is available through the browser ?
>>> This would be more like Webinar interfaces I've used for manufacturer
>>> promotions etc and makes it even easier for people to participate.
>> yet more scope for more projects that people can get involved in. There
>> may already be (open?) tools like this?? I don't know. We were just
>> using IRC for feedback; the other option is to use mumble and we can get
>> audio back.
> Ok. I was thinking of simplicity for even non-Linux users. I don't know how
> fraught is getting a mumble like tool going on Windows/Mac. If small then
> good. I don't know that audio is necessary since you really want questions
> remotely not a continuous conversation with many streamers.
Mumble (the client) is cross platform and (normally) trivial. The server
(Murmur) supports multiple "rooms", and an access control list so you
can control who connects to what room. As the server admin, you can (via
a GUI) drag people into a room (and back out). So on my mumble server
(feel free to install the software and connect), I have a room (channel)
for Committee (I should move this to Pot), and one for general chat, and
then some of the AV teams. Indeed, the AV team could be "crew" and
"talent", such that talent are in their own "room" (mostly listening
since they are performing), and the crew are taling about framing shots.
The directory talks to the crew in their room, and also talks to the
talent ("stop scratching yourself, look up, smile").

The IPv4 for my mumble server is 58.7.180.85 (currently). Let me know
when you're there and I'll hook up too. Best to use a headset with mic.

>> Please! Yes. I've started some rudimentary documentation onthe PLUG
>> web site at http://www.plug.org.au/projects/. Please sign up for an
>> account, and I'll give you rights to edit alll pages there. Same goes
>> for everyone else - let me know your usernames and you can (please)
>> edit the (entire) PLUG web site!!!
> My username is harrymc.
I have enabled you as an editor. The sowftare is Drupal. There is a link
on the left that says "create content". You want to create a "page". The
most impotant setting after typing your wiki text is to sett he "URL
path setting" to something memorable, like
"projects/video/HarrysNewDoco" (any capitalisation is fine, or none) -
no leading slash. Then link that page with that URL. If you don't set a
page name, I think it gets a random one of "node1234" or similar.

> I don't know your setup of the system. Are you (three?) meeting again and able
> to explain it to me ? I could try to document it as it is and the doc could be
> adjusted as the hardware changes and the system is refined. I sounds like the
> first experience already has prompted some ideas for static IPs etc.

Nothing's planned yet, but we do need to fire up and test out what
worked and what didn't. We don't have a switch to use, which is our
biggest sticking factor right now....

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to