[PLUG-AV] Fwd: Re: Tally light script

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Apr 14 19:15:32 WST 2011

FYI.

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Tally light script
Date: 	Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:18:49 +0200
From: 	Wouter Verhelst <w at uter.be>
To: 	James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to>

On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 03:39:25PM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> On 14/04/2011 3:31 PM, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 02:22:15PM +0800, James Bromberger wrote:
> >> Hi Wouter,
> >> Your tally light solutionfor DVswtich  - did you publish the code
> >> anywhere such that I can pilfer it? :)
> > It's been part of dvswitch since quite a while already -- just use
> > dvsource-firewire's -t option. And read the manpage :-)
>
> I've been the -t switch, it was more the case of the entire screen going
> green/red that I was thinking.

Oh, that.

My original patch for the tally light did that, by outputting some ANSI
screen codes that would turn the background to red or green, and then
print 23 newlines (or some such); so if you would not be running an X
server, then your entire screen would turn red or green. It worked, but
Ben didn't like it, and changed it to say 'TALLY: on' or 'TALLY: off'
instead; the idea being that you could then easily add a wrapper script
which would do whatever is needed to show tally information.

I don't think I have that patch anymore, but I'm sure you can find it in
the mailinglist archives somewhere, if you must.

As to the actual tally light, I recommend you use the led-on-serial
trick: if you wire a LED between pins 4 and 5 on a 9-pin serial port,
then if you open the port, the LED will go on (provided you did it
properly). Parts for that will cost you about €10-€15 a piece (USB
serial convertor included), which should not be prohibitive and
certainly is much easier to use (laptop screens tend to blank, or
produce a huge blare which may be disturbing to the audience).

With that, all you need is doc/examples/tally-light.sh in the dvswitch
git repo.

the following formula:

pi zz a