[PLUG-AV] Lotterywest chat

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Thu Apr 14 20:36:12 WST 2011

On 14/04/2011 8:20 PM, Jason Nicholls wrote:
>> So what do we look at for ultra small/portable, firewire, audio in (mic
>> & line in?), audio out, and ethernet? Camera encoder stations do not
>> necessarily need to be gigabit ethernet, but thats nice if we were to
>> chose to farm out post-capture encoding jobs to them?
> Well if we don't need a screen/keyboard then the Mac Mini's can do the trick
> with built-in firewire and $899 (which if I remember correctly was cheaper
> than those SFF boxes you linked to once before).
Amazon price US$641 (AU$609) + shipping troubles.
> At $899 it might be cheaper to get a cheap laptop + firewire card if it has
> an expansion slot, I haven't looked into anything but laptops are my
> preference because of the built-in keyboard, mouse, screen, and UPS :)
Indeed, with an expansion slot we can handle USB3 at some stage?

What expansion, through? PC Card/PCMCIA is long dead. I can't think of
any expansion-capable laptops on the market. Anyone? Do we favour long
term expandability over built-in-screen-and-keyboard-ed-ness?

> BTW I have a MacBook cause it was cheap at auction, not cause I'm a Mac
> person. I also have a mac mini at home because it has a tiny power draw
> and I'm a crazy hippy greeny with my own solar power system. In both
> cases I only run Linux (Ubuntu) on them so for me it's simply a matter of
> cost and appropriateness (low power draw, intel, can run linux). IOW I'm
> not trying to push mac hardware on everyone!
I know you're sensitive about this. One word. "Fanboi". :)

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to