[PLUG-AV] BarCamp and more

Harry McNally harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Fri Apr 15 10:52:41 WST 2011

Hello all

IRC with Matt Didcoe who says streaming BarCamp would be cool. Transpires
BarCamp will be hanging off Edge of the Web conf in July http://eotw.com.au/

It would be even more cool if Free tools and PLUG (as a BarCamp sponsor) get
to stream BarCamp and Edge of the Web did the usual conference concept of only
getting "attendance" by paying to attend.

Tho' if Edge of the Web is at UWA then they may well stream (or record) with
the Lectopia facilities at UWA. Don't know. I didn't ask Matt that but I'll
talk to him about it later.

James, on this comment:
"
> Is there anyone on the PLUG list that does this work and would benefit from
> the project outcomes by moving to Free tools ?
I would hope that if there are people who do this, then they are already
here on the AV mailing list, trying to help! :)
"

Small (and large) business proprietors are protective of their commercial
patch and don't share knowledge. That is still the wrinkle for me between
people who see the advantage of agreeing to share a software development for
mutual benefit and those that just take it and exploit other people's efforts.

There may be others on the list that do this sort of work but won't speak up.
They'll happily look at your project and silently take more information away
but that's the reality. I guess I could call them "information harvesters" as
a more polite term than the one I'm thinking. They don't sow seed but are
happy to harvest from other peoples efforts. I don't think I'm cynical about
it just an observation. An interesting metric for this may be PLUG members vs
mailing list subscribers ;)

All the best
Harry