[PLUG-AV] BarCamp and more

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Apr 15 12:15:48 WST 2011

On 15/04/2011 10:52 AM, Harry McNally wrote:
> IRC with Matt Didcoe who says streaming BarCamp would be cool. Transpires
> BarCamp will be hanging off Edge of the Web conf in July http://eotw.com.au/
I looked at the site - EOTW.com.au (by the Aus Web Industry, formerly
"Port 80", and I remember them starting) is set for Thurs 28 Jul - Fri
29 Jul. Thats three months away. We'll probably be well rehearsed by
then - if we can get some more people to turn up. Having pretty much
just Jason and me on Tuesday was a little light on manpower.

> It would be even more cool if Free tools and PLUG (as a BarCamp sponsor) get
> to stream BarCamp and Edge of the Web did the usual conference concept of only
> getting "attendance" by paying to attend.
Well, if nothing else its an opportunity to refine skills.

> Tho' if Edge of the Web is at UWA then they may well stream (or record) with
> the Lectopia facilities at UWA. Don't know. I didn't ask Matt that but I'll
> talk to him about it later.
Please do. Also, their site says its at "the University Club" - what
club? Where abouts on campus? What lecture theatre(s), or do they mean
at UCC in the loft?

On "knowledge harvesters" (nice term):
> There may be others on the list that do this sort of work but won't speak up.
> They'll happily look at your project and silently take more information away
> but that's the reality. I guess I could call them "information harvesters" as
> a more polite term than the one I'm thinking. They don't sow seed but are
> happy to harvest from other peoples efforts. I don't think I'm cynical about
> it just an observation. An interesting metric for this may be PLUG members vs
> mailing list subscribers ;)
Well, for PLUG, that's 40 members, 350 on list - roughly 90% of the PLUG
community are not PLUG members. On this list (AV): 9 people, with posts
only from pretty much everyone (thanks all for playing).

Not to worry, we've got stuff to play with an achieve!

Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to