[PLUG-AV] DV over USB?

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Mon Apr 18 14:58:51 WST 2011

On 18/04/2011 2:45 PM, Tim wrote:
> I'm fairly sure as stated by Jason, that most of the "DV over USB"
> cameras are webcams.
> I think some high quality webcams would actually be ok given that we'd
> be scaling the content down. The most important content visually is
> what's displayed on the screen. Then the audio is next most important.
I think audio is #1. You can follow a conversation if the picture
freezes, but not if the audio freezes. Which brings me back to thinking
about either audio mixers and multiple mics, or multiple USB sounds
cards and writing a GTK app to manage the sound levels from multiple
cards....

The picture - the point there is that the picture needs to be nicely
framed. Zoomed in, in focus, filling the screen with the action - which
comes form the ability of the camera operator (and director) to juggle
the available shots. A webcam (typically fixed lens, no focus, no zoom)
could be of use (eg, as a supplemental video source), but not as good as
a real, operated camera, IMHO.

But we can always try a webcam. Any volunteers?

Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to