[PLUG-AV] AV networking.

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 15:35:04 WST 2011

Regarding cameras.
I understand that webcams lack the nice ability to pan, tilt, zoom and
be mounted on tripods. However, they do offer decent[1] quality
capture of both audio and video.
Logitech have a Pro 9000 which runs fine under Linux. It features HD
(720p) capture on a 2MP sensor. Ebay shows that they start at about
$60.

Using cameras like this would make the systems easier to reproduce as
they are common and still produced I believe. I guess the trick is
getting them into something like DVSwitch.

Personally, as someone watching a live stream, I'd rather be able to
see and hear what is going on from one static angle, than nothing!
Have 2 webcams so you can switch between a close up and a long shot,
and maybe an audience view and you have everything you need to make a
boring talk entertaining!

Tim

[1] Decent given that we are live streaming and not producing a HD DVD.
p.s. Does anyone want the list changed so Reply goes to list? (Without
starting a flame)

On 20 April 2011 14:16, Jason Nicholls <jason at mindsocket.com.au> wrote:
>> I was looking at an 8 port unmanaged gig switch - which I think would be
>> perfect for a one room set up. I started to look at options closer to
>> home: what do you guys think of this DLink from Harris tech (who have
>> stock here in WA - others are back ordered it seems):
>> http://www.ht.com.au/cart/1/part/K8853-D-Link-DGS-1008D-switch-8-ports/detail.hts
>
> Don't know if you know about staticice, but handy to find local
> (AU-wide) electronics:
>
> http://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?manufacturer=&model=&words=gigabit+switch&phrase=&excludewords=&site=&statewa=on&price-min=&price-max=&links=20
>
> e.g. Austin have an 8-port gigE switch for $49
>

>> In other news, the Panasonic camera for $50 - vendor is checking live
>> capture from firewire works, and I'll try and grab that early next week
>> before our Wednesday workshop.
>
> Cool.
>
> I was thinking about how we want to get a grant etc... make this a
> modular approach
> so it can be replicated easy and it just keeps nagging at me that DV
> is basically
> dead. Unless we go for multiple-thousand dollar high end cameras you just can't
> get anything new and relying on 2nd hand stuff isn't scalable.
>
> With that said, some newer cameras do have HDMI out and some can be connected
> with pass-through (based on descriptions, not my own experience). The
> problem then
> becomes how to get HDMI capture happening. There are capture cards (PCI) but
> that's all I've looked at so far, bah if it was just nice and easy :)
>

> Jason

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia