[PLUG-AV] AV networking.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Wed Apr 20 18:31:58 WST 2011

On 20/04/2011 3:35 PM, Tim wrote:
> Regarding cameras.
> I understand that webcams lack the nice ability to pan, tilt, zoom and
> be mounted on tripods. However, they do offer decent[1] quality
> capture of both audio and video.
> Logitech have a Pro 9000 which runs fine under Linux. It features HD
> (720p) capture on a 2MP sensor. Ebay shows that they start at about
> $60.
>
> Using cameras like this would make the systems easier to reproduce as
> they are common and still produced I believe. I guess the trick is
> getting them into something like DVSwitch.

If they run to the uvc spec, then the dvsource-v4l capture program is
for you!  I was thinking of adding a webcamon a stick - such as, when
someone asks a question it is easy enough to get a camera close enough
to see how is asking the question - so I am not ruling them out!

> Personally, as someone watching a live stream, I'd rather be able to
> see and hear what is going on from one static angle, than nothing!
> Have 2 webcams so you can switch between a close up and a long shot,
> and maybe an audience view and you have everything you need to make a
> boring talk entertaining!
Thats the plan! Heck, webcams are cheap enough too that we could always
mount one almost on the cieling looking down as another shot ready to go!

> Tim
>
> [1] Decent given that we are live streaming and not producing a HD DVD.
> p.s. Does anyone want the list changed so Reply goes to list? (Without
> starting a flame)

Happy for reply-to-list.

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to